Tlalli - Witch of the Northern Gate of Earth
Over the last several months Dani and I have been doing an in depth hypersigil comic book and have been working very had behind the scenes to meet the spirits, channel them, converse with them and learn about them. We have already introduced Fallon the wonderful spirit we met and helped bring to the public eye, who is a spirit of Happiness, health, wealth, and wisdom. During the course of working with Fallon and creating the hypersigil we were introduced to four wonderful Witch sisters who are spirits that govern and work with the forces of the gates of the cardinal directions, the gate of fire, the gate of water, the gate of earth, and the gate of air.
The first of the four great witch sisters is Tlalli, she is a wonderful spirit who has many talents and many wonderful qualities that make working with her on a daily basis a very beneficial and helpful endeavor.
Her sigil is thus:
Tlalli is a powerful Earth spirit that has long been forgotten. Through our pathworking we did with the Elemental sphere of earth and the northern gateway we met her and she is very happy to work with us to bring her back to prominence as a powerful mediator and steward of the northern gate. She has the power to harness all the healing energies of nature and transfer them to others through direct contact, meditation, and attunement done by her when she is invoked and asked to do so. She is the steward of earth and the northern gate meaning she has a strong affinity for nature, the natural world, and the earth. The kinder you are to the environment and the creatures of the earth the easier she will be to work with for you.
Tlalli can be called upon using her mantra which is "IO Tlalli Thýrakas tis Gis" (EE-OH TA-LA-LEE THY-RACK-AS TEEZE GHEEZE) which roughly translates to Hail Tlalli Gatekeeper of Earth. Combining gazing at her sigil with her mantra and repeating the mantra 100 times or more per day is a great way to connect to her energies. Furthermore if you are able to visualize her actually coming out of the sigil in all her splendour just like the image of her, even better. By visualizing her fully you are creating an astral gate for her to enter into your space into.
Tlalli can be called upon for any manner of Earth elemental workings which include but are not limited to:
-Earth and its primary quality of transformation.
-Earth thus has to do with change and becoming.
-The element Earth is also seen as being associated with introspection and receiving answers from within.
-Other qualities of Earth are stability, nurturing, solidity and manifestation.
-In terms of seasons Earth is associated with autumn and adulthood, a time of stability.
-The realm associated with the North is the physical.
-The colour associated with Earth is Black, Brown, or Green.
-The element of Earth is considered cool and dry and is associated with the melancholic temperament.
-The element of Earth represents the solid state of matter.
-The element of Earth corresponds to the physical part of ourselves, our physical body and rules the elder stage of life.
-The element of Earth rules the intestines.
-The element of Earth rules the winter and the night.
-The Element of Earth represents the sense of touch and all physical, practical, material things including money, crops, livestock, the home, property, family, career, investments, saving.
-The Alchemical Mineral associated with the Earth is Salt.
-Other Minerals associated with the element of Earth are: halite (aka salt), granite, jasper, emerald, jade, malachite, hematite, lead, ochre
-It is usually considered feminine in nature.
-The element of Earth is associated with Old age, or maturity, the Winter, Nighttime and the Winter Solstice.
-The best time to perform spells associated with the element of Earth is when the moon is in one of the Earth signs: Capricorn, Taurus or Virgo
-Symbols of the element of Earth include: soil, the pentacle, cattle, tree of life.
-Herbs associated with the element of Earth include apple, bistort, comfrey, cypress, fern, all grains, all grasses, honeysuckle, horehound, ivy, magnolia, mugwort, narcissus, oak, oakmoss, primrose, rhubarb, vervain, vetiver
By going through these properties some ideas for how to petition Tlalli and to work with her for your magickal benefit should become rather straightforward and easy.
Simple connection to Tlalli:
You will need one small candle, a tea light or votive will do, and some incense. Do not leave your candle burning unattended, snuff it after you are done.
1. Face north and sit with your legs crossed and your spine straight.
2. Do the fourfold breath until fully relaxed (in for the ocunt of 4, hold for 4, out for 4, hold for 4)
3. Visualize in your minds eye a great mountain in front of you.
4. Breathe in the energy of the earth from the mountain, breathe out the old stagnant earth energy from within your body, cleansing and charging breathe in, cleansing and releasing breathe out.
5. Light a small candle such as a tea light or a votive in the North. Begin chanting Talli's mantra out loud "IO Tlalli Thýrakas tis Gis" and continue for the rest of the operation.
6. Visualize the sigil of Tlalli in green taking the place of the mountain. Make it glow brighter and brighter with each inhalation and exhalation.
7. Begin "feeling" for the energy of Tlalli with all your senses, your sight both inner and outer, your hearing both inner and outer, your smell both inner and outer, your feeling both inner and outter, your taste both inner and outer. Take note of anything that feels different, can you smell the earth? can you feel the coolness of the dirt? can you hear the rustling of leaves? fill out all your senses.
8. Visualize Tlalli coming out of her sigil in all her splendor just as she is pictured, the dark skin, the black hair, the pointy hat, fill it all in, fully and completely with ALL of your senses.
9. State out loud "Thank you Tlalli for your presence, I ask that you be my mentor, teacher, protector and guide and that you open the ways of the Northern Gate so that its magick may be made manifest, for and through me. Show me what I need to see. Remove all obstacles that are within your reach and make level the path to success in all that I do."
10. Continue chanting her mantra and sit in her presence, she may do some healing on you, she may give you a gift or a vision, let things play out naturally.
11. Once you feel you are done with the connection Light your incense and say "I thank you Tlalli for your presence, protection, and the many blessings you have bestowed upon me, I give you offering in thanks and gratitude for your guidance and blessings. May this incense uplift you and please you, and be a symbol of our friendship and the peace between us. Hail Tlalli and thank you."
12. Extinguish the candle and go about your day.
I hope this finds you all well and helps you to Ignite the light within!
- Azariel Flame